This is a contents page for my articles. Other ways to find things are to use the search box or the Category tags on individual articles.
- Paint with a Beginner’s Mind
- 7 Ways to Create a Painting
- The 5 Stages of Making a Painting
- Never Moving Beyond Liking the Idea of Being Creative
- Be Systematic & Aim Small
- Are We There Yet? When is a Painting Finished?
— Did I Stop Too Late?
- Beginner’s Art Class Anxiety: How Bad Will My Drawings Be?
- Practice Doesn’t Necessarily Make (Your Art) Perfect
- Imposter Syndrome: Are You a Real Artist?
- The ‘Secret’ was the Previous Painting
- Are You Creating Worried Lines?
- How Long Did It Take to Paint?
Creativity & Artistic Growth
- 31 Word Prompts to Jumpstart a Drawing Habit: January 2018
- 7 Ways to Avoid Routine & Monotony in Your Art
- More to an Artistic Journey Than the Final Destination
- 4 Ways to Challenge Yourself When Your Painting Feels Stale
- Be Comfortable Being Out of Your Creative Comfort Zone
- Learn to Fail Better
- See Things Differently
- Competency and Passion are Not the Same Thing
- Not Worrying, Really (Another Seashore Painting Story)
- My 3 Tips for Dealing with Creative Overload
Colour Theory & Mixing
- 5 Colour Mixing Tips (I Wish I’d Learnt Earlier Than I Did)
- 5 Ways to Mix Greens
- Transparent vs Opaque Colours in Oils and Acrylics
- 7 Reasons to Paint in Monochrome
- How Many Colours Do You Need for a Successful Painting?
- Colour Names vs Pigments
Fundamental Principles of Art
- From Realism to Abstract (Art Styles for Absolute Beginners)
- The Elements of Art
- Elements of Composition in Art
- Shadows: Cast vs Form
- How I Add Texture to a Painting
- Oils over Acrylics
- Painting Techniques: Scumbling
- 10 Techniques for Painting More Expressively & Loosely
- Paint Away from an Edge
- The Layers of Mark Making (& Thought) in a Painting
- Perspective: Sun & Moon Reflections Don?t Do the Railway Lines Thing
- 7 Ways to Create Depth in a Landscape Painting
Critique / Solving Painting Problems
- Get Drastic, Not Desperate (in order to rescue a painting)
- Art Myths: It Should Be Easy
- Art Myths: If You Can’t Draw, You Can’t Paint
- The 10,000 Hours Myth
- Taking a Long, Slow Look at a Reference Photo Before Painting
Sketching & Painting on Location
- My Colours for Painting with Acrylics
- When Is Size Not a Dimension? (Clue: Paper)
- Considering Canvas
- How to Ruin a Paint Brush
- Studio Storage Solutions: Paper