I’ve really enjoyed looking at the photos of completed January Word Prompt charts sent in. Ideas that would never have occurred to me, the way everyone’s done something that’s uniquely their own, sometimes ideas vastly different and sometimes more similar, all from the same starting point. Thank you!
This is Erika’s, who said: “I truly did one-a-day except for 22/23/24, those I filled all on the 24.”
This is Tessa’s, who says: “Sometimes I stuck to one a day, often I wanted to do more than one, sometimes did which balanced out days when I didn’t. I liked that it was on ordinary paper and for me an ideas thing rather than serious drawing.”
This is by a Skye-based creative friend, working at a slightly larger scale on her own grid, in inks.
As I said yesterday, my January word prompt chart had more gaps (18) than completed blocks (13). It was also done in pencil only (until yesterday). There’s no reason it couldn’t be done only in pencil or monochrome, but overall Studio Cat Ghost wasn’t at all impressed by my performance. Something about not leading by example, nor starting the year as I meant to continue.
I tried telling him he should cut me some slack as I’d been away in Glasgow at Scotland’s Trade Fair, but apparently that was no excuse as all I needed was a pencil. So, rather than beat myself up about what I should have done, the gap between what I’d intended and what I actually done, I decided to spend a little more time on it, sat down with my watercolours and started adding some colour. Studio Cat supervised.
I confess, once I started adding colour I liked it a whole lot more — the result and the doing of it. It’s still got a bunch of white blocks, and most of it I would rate “could do better” (I know, I know, I’m not supposed to say this sort of thing about this activity) but that was squashed under the enjoyment I had with the watercolours and the knowledge that I ended the month with more blocks completed than not.
My blue (#23) was done with a new-to-me Daniel Smith watercolour made from genuine lapis lazuli, which has been used to create ultramarine since the 13th century for ultramarine, though these days we nearly always use French ultramarine, a synthetic, cheaper version created in the 19th century.
Studio Cat’s verdict as I tidied up: he still wants me to do a drawing of him for #28.
See also: Two More January Word Prompt Charts