Following on from yesterday’s post, I was thinking I should compile a list of “art rules”. Quickly, off the top of my head, I can think of these:
- Rule of thirds for placing focal point
- Use an odd number of elements not even
- Don’t put a horizon line in the centre
- Don’t put subject in the centre (fried-egg compositions)
- Rules about proportions of dark to medium to light tones — is it 10 : 80 : 10?
- Don’t use black
- Cast shadows have hard edges, form shadows have soft
What else? Do add any you know as a comment/reply below on this blog post or email me.